Have I ever told you about the man that lived by the river?
Frank Cartwright lived in a modest home not far from the Androscoggin
River. One day, there was a radio broadcast saying that a dam upstream
had failed and the surrounding areas would be flooded. Local authorities
were issuing mandatory evacuations. Frank grew up as a devout
Christian, and he reasoned that if he prayed, God would come down Himself and save him.
As the waters rose, a neighbor came by in a rowboat and offered to take
Frank to safety. Frank smiled and declined saying that he loved the
Lord all his life and if God loved him, He would come to personally save
Frank in his plight. A little while later, the flood waters had risen
higher and Frank was in his bedroom on the second floor. A bright light
came through the window and he heard a loud voice. It was the National
Guard in a helicopter offering to lower a basket for Frank to climb into
and they'd take him to safety. Frank grabbed his bullhorn and told the
pilot that if God loved him as much as Frank loved Him, then He would
save him.
Well, Frank drowned. Standing at the Pearly Gates,
he looks at Saint Peter and DEMANDS an audience with the Lord. He goes
before the Almighty and states his case plainly. "Lord," he said; "I
loved and served You my entire life. I thought that when I really needed
You, You would save me." The Lord thinks about this statement for a
moment, looks at Frank and says "My son; I do love you, more than you can possibly could imagine. I tried to save
you, three times. I sent you a radio broadcast, a neighbor in a rowboat and a
National Guard helicopter pilot. I have one question for you. What in the Hell are you doing here?!"
I tell this story because sometimes
when we're in need of help from God, we expect Him to personally
intervene. Frank was counting on that so much that he ignored the three
times that God tried to save him. My point is this, sometimes God sends
help in ways we don't expect.
Please share this with your families
and friends. I don't take credit for coming up with the story. I
actually don't know who told it originally, I only added some details.
No comments:
Post a Comment