I've been feeling a little restless lately and have felt a twinge of wanderlust. At first, it was something I could easily ignore and it would dissipate. Lately though, it's been an obsession of mine and I need to do something about it or I risk going batty! Saint Augustine, bishop and Doctor of the Church contended that "the world is a book. Those who do not travel read only a page." His words of wisdom resonate with me more now than they did when I was younger.
A few years ago, I was a student living abroad and it changed my life for the better. I was living in the UK and attending university courses in the city of Derby. I learned in the classroom and in the daily interactions with my classmates and friends. Not everyone has the opportunity to live abroad and absorb another culture by immersion. I'm glad to have had the chance and still count it among my greatest blessings in life.
In the classic story "The Lord of the Rings" by JRR Tolkein we find ourselves on an epic journey with Frodo and Company across Middle Earth. While the journey was arduous and full of hardships, there were joys and the theme of friendship. Before leaving Hobbiton, Bilbo confides in his old friend Gandalf that he needs "a holiday, a very long holiday." I recognize that very same need as what has caused my restlessness. I too need a very long holiday, but I intend to come back unlike our dear friend Bilbo.
I think I've gotten too wrapped up in this connected world of ours, and I feel the need to disconnect for a time. I think the perfect way to disconnect and reconnect was to take a pilgrimage. I have thought and prayed about where to go. "But where ?", I thought: Rome, Fatima, Medjugore, Lourdes, Jerusalem, Assisi? They all sounded like they would suit the need of a world-weary Christian looking to deepen his love of the Lord. After much deliberation, prayer and research, I have decided to make my pilgrimage on the age-old Camino de Santiago or "Way of Saint James" (Iago translates as either Jacob or James). Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ had many followers in His time on Earth, but the twelve Apostles were like the inner circle. Simon bar Jonah (Peter) was called first, along with James and John. These three were witness to the Transfiguration, Jesus had them stay close by His side in Gethsemane. Needless to say, James was one of the three closest. About 3 years ago I made my Cursillo, which is a short course on Christian living. The founders of the movement were trying to develop a method of training pilgrimage leaders on the same trail. So, this would be highly appropriate for me to go to the same place. Six weeks of hiking should do the trick, and I might lose a little weight while I'm at it. I'm not sure as to when I will be able to start my journey, but I'm putting my trust in the Lord that He will help me find a way.
A few years ago, I was a student living abroad and it changed my life for the better. I was living in the UK and attending university courses in the city of Derby. I learned in the classroom and in the daily interactions with my classmates and friends. Not everyone has the opportunity to live abroad and absorb another culture by immersion. I'm glad to have had the chance and still count it among my greatest blessings in life.
In the classic story "The Lord of the Rings" by JRR Tolkein we find ourselves on an epic journey with Frodo and Company across Middle Earth. While the journey was arduous and full of hardships, there were joys and the theme of friendship. Before leaving Hobbiton, Bilbo confides in his old friend Gandalf that he needs "a holiday, a very long holiday." I recognize that very same need as what has caused my restlessness. I too need a very long holiday, but I intend to come back unlike our dear friend Bilbo.
I think I've gotten too wrapped up in this connected world of ours, and I feel the need to disconnect for a time. I think the perfect way to disconnect and reconnect was to take a pilgrimage. I have thought and prayed about where to go. "But where ?", I thought: Rome, Fatima, Medjugore, Lourdes, Jerusalem, Assisi? They all sounded like they would suit the need of a world-weary Christian looking to deepen his love of the Lord. After much deliberation, prayer and research, I have decided to make my pilgrimage on the age-old Camino de Santiago or "Way of Saint James" (Iago translates as either Jacob or James). Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ had many followers in His time on Earth, but the twelve Apostles were like the inner circle. Simon bar Jonah (Peter) was called first, along with James and John. These three were witness to the Transfiguration, Jesus had them stay close by His side in Gethsemane. Needless to say, James was one of the three closest. About 3 years ago I made my Cursillo, which is a short course on Christian living. The founders of the movement were trying to develop a method of training pilgrimage leaders on the same trail. So, this would be highly appropriate for me to go to the same place. Six weeks of hiking should do the trick, and I might lose a little weight while I'm at it. I'm not sure as to when I will be able to start my journey, but I'm putting my trust in the Lord that He will help me find a way.
No comments:
Post a Comment